The following information from the original eBay listing is all that I know about this box and the vintage recipes:
- Up for auction is a Vintage Dovetail Recipe Box that came from my parents’ estate.
- The Recipe Box belonged to my Aunt and she was always one to peck away on her manual typewriter putting the recipes given to her by her friends on index cards.
- I actually came across one Recipe with the Date 1939.
- There are Recipes Handwritten, Clipped, Typed and some printed recipes from Love Super Duper.
- The Box measures approximately 4″ Tall, 5 1/2″ Wide and 3″ Deep.
And the seller’s response to my inquiry to learn more about the box and the recipes:
My Aunt Ena was married to Dave and they lived all over as Dave was a Forest Ranger here in California.
She had a vibrant and warm personality and made friends so easily and her husband was very reserved. She was always collecting recipes from friends and would sit down at her typewriter and peck them out. She collected all these recipes, but I really don’t think she made many of them.
She made the best Swiss Steak and every time we went out to see them in Yucaipa (where they retired) she would make us her Swiss Steak Dinner. It was the best!!!
She passed away in 1995 at the age of 85. I really didn’t recognize any of the names on those cards. Probably acquaintances she met while my Uncle Dave was a Ranger.
If I think of anything else, I will let you know.
Thanks for your inquiry,
More information I found using Ancestry.com about Ena and Dave:
- Ena was born in 1909 in Scotland.
- Ena arrived in the United States in 1921 and was naturalized in 1929 in California.
- David, aka Dave, was born in 1907 in Tennessee.