- 6 slices bread
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 slices of tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pickles, chopped
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 American cheese, grated
- Toast bread on one side
- Spread mayonnaise on untoasted sides of each slice of bread
- Place large slice of tomato on each
- Sprinkle with salt
- Combine the chopped pickles, celery, and green pepper - sprinkle over sandwich
- Top with American cheese
- Broil for 3 minutes or until cheese melts
Front of the Tomato Dagwood recipe card.
LINKS OF INTEREST
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you. Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Tomato Dagwood recipe.
If you make this Tomato Dagwood recipe, please share your photos and comments below!
Dagwood Sandwich History:
A Dagwood (sandwich) is a tall, multi-layered sandwich made with a variety of meats, cheeses, and condiments. It was named after Dagwood Bumstead, a central character in the comic strip Blondie, who is frequently illustrated making enormous sandwiches.
According to the creator of the comic strip, Murat Bernard “Chic” Young, the only thing that Dagwood could prepare in the kitchen was a mountainous pile of dissimilar leftovers precariously arranged between two slices of bread. Dagwood became know for his huge sandwiches he created on evening forays to the refrigerator.