Sour Cream Chocolate Cake
Sour Cream Chocolate Cake Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Sour Cream Chocolate Cake.
Vintage Recipe Box 90
There are lots of fun recipes to read in the box this recipe for Sour Cream Chocolate Cake was with.
Click here to view all of Vintage Recipe Box 90 recipes.
More Vintage Recipes
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you.
Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Sour Cream Chocolate Cake recipe.
Recipe Box and Cards
Start your own recipe box or your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
Vintage Kitchen Tools and Dishes
I love vintage dishes and kitchenware.
On the weekends I can often be found in a thrift store poking through the shelves to find vintage treasures to use as props for our photography for the site.
Click here to view Vintage Kitchenware on Etsy.
Every once and a while you can find a good cookbook with Vintage Recipes on Amazon. I don’t have any recommendations as I haven’t bought any as I prefer the handwritten recipes that you see on our site.
Vintage Recipe Project on Social Media
We would love to interact with you about our vintage recipes.
Join us on your favorite social media platform by clicking the links below.
Sour Cream Chocolate Cake Recipe
If you make this Sour Cream Chocolate Cake recipe, please share your photos and comments below!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup dairy sour cream
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- Fine Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and lightly flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan or three 8 x 1½-inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixer bowl at low speed mix flour, sugar, water, sour cream, butter or margarine, eggs, chocolate, baking soda, salt, vanilla and baking powder for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl frequently.
- At high speed beat for 3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan(s).
- Bake oblong cake for 40 to 45 minutes or round cakes for 30 to 35 minutes or until top springs back when pressed lightly with finger. Cool.
- Remove round cakes from pans and cool on wire racks.
- Frost cooled cake.
- Refrigerate cake as frosting is very soft.
- Remove from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving.
At altitudes above 5,000 feet make the following changes: Increase oven temperate to 375°F., decrease sugar to 1¾ cups, baking soda to 1 teaspoon and baking powder to ¼ teaspoon. For 8 x 1½-inch pans, bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 12 servings.