Smothered Rabbit Recipe Card Front
Front of the Smothered Rabbit recipe card with a notation that the recipe is from Goldie (owner of vintage recipe box VRP001).
Smothered Rabbit Recipe Card Back
Back of the Smothered Rabbit recipe card.
Front of the Smothered Rabbit recipe card found in the recipe box of Goldie, owner of VRP001.
Back of the Smothered Rabbit recipe card found in the recipe box of Goldie, owner of VRP001.
- If a heavy skillet or pot with a tight lid is used, the rabbit may be smothered on top of the stove
Vintage Recipe Box 004
There are lots of fun recipes to read in the box this recipe for Smothered Rabbit was with.
Click here to read the history of
More Vintage Recipes
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you.
Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Smothered Rabbit recipe.
Recipe Box and Cards
Start your own recipe box or your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
Vintage Kitchen Tools and Dishes
I love vintage dishes and kitchenware.
On the weekends I can often be found in a thrift store poking through the shelves to find vintage treasures to use as props for our photography for the site.
Click here to view Vintage Kitchenware on Etsy.
Every once and a while you can find a good cookbook with Vintage Recipes on Amazon. I don’t have any recommendations as I haven’t bought any as I prefer the handwritten recipes that you see on our site.
Vintage Recipe Project on Social Media
We would love to interact with you about our vintage recipes.
Join us on your favorite social media platform by clicking the links below.
Smothered Rabbit Recipe
If you make this Smothered Rabbit recipe, please share your photos and comments below!
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium sized rabbit, cut into pieces for serving
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups potatoes, diced and uncooked
- 1 cup hot water
- Fry the bacon slightly until crisped and remove from skillet, leaving only the hot fat
- Add the rabbit which has been seasoned with salt and pepper and rolled in flour
- When nicely browned on both sides, arrange in a heavy baking pan or casserole dish
- Add the potatoes and onions
- Lay the strips of bacon over the top and add the hot water, which has been used to rinse out the skillet in which the meat was browned
- Cover tightly and bake in a moderate oven for 2 hours