Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet Cake Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Red Velvet Cake.
Vintage Recipe Box 90
There are lots of fun recipes to read in the box this recipe for Red Velvet Cake was with.
Click here to view all of Vintage Recipe Box 90 recipes.
More Vintage Recipes
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you.
Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Red Velvet Cake recipe.
Recipe Box and Cards
Start your own recipe box or your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
Vintage Kitchen Tools and Dishes
I love vintage dishes and kitchenware.
On the weekends I can often be found in a thrift store poking through the shelves to find vintage treasures to use as props for our photography for the site.
Click here to view Vintage Kitchenware on Etsy.
Every once and a while you can find a good cookbook with Vintage Recipes on Amazon. I don’t have any recommendations as I haven’t bought any as I prefer the handwritten recipes that you see on our site.
Vintage Recipe Project on Social Media
We would love to interact with you about our vintage recipes.
Join us on your favorite social media platform by clicking the links below.
Red Velvet Cake Recipe
If you make this Red Velvet Cake recipe, please share your photos and comments below!
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1-ounce bottle red food coloring
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 (3-ounce) package softened cream cheese
- 1 pound box confectioner's sugar
- ¼ cup softened margarine
- Vanilla (enough to make frosting spreadable)
- Cream sugar, salt and shortening.
- Add eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Dissolve cocoa in food coloring and pour over creamed mixture and mix well.
- Add buttermilk and flour alternately, mixing after each addition.
- Mix baking soda and vinegar and blend into batter.
- Bake in greased and floured 9-by-13-inch pan or two 8-inch pans for about 30 minutes.
- Cool about 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Mix all frosting ingredients and spread over cake.