- 1 pound (or less) dates
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup (or less) nut meat
- 1 cup butter or lard, divided
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Cut dates into small pieces and cook with sugar, and water until thickened
- Cool and add nuts
- Blend the lard (or butter) and sugars
- Add the beaten eggs and vanilla
- Sift dry ingredients and blend into creamed mixture
- Chill the dough 1/2 hour
- Roll dough to 2" thickness (or less)
- Spread filling over the dough
- Roll like a jelly roll, wrap in wax paper, and store in refrigerator overnight
- Slice into thin and bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes, 375 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes
Pinwheel Refrigerator Cookies
- For smaller or tea cookies, divide dough in half before rolling
Front of the Pinwheel Refrigerator Cookies recipe card with a notation that the recipe is from Margie.
I am assuming this is Lena Margueriette RHINEHART DePue, born in 1896 and died in 1990. This Margie is the mother of Merridelle R. DEPUE who married Harry Lewis SOWERS. Harry was the son of Goldie, who owned Vintage Recipe Project box VRP001.
There could be another Margie as I have found others refer to this “Margie” as Lena also.
Back of the Pinwheel Refrigerator Cookies recipe card.
LINKS OF INTEREST
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you. Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Pinwheel Refrigerator Cookies recipe.
If you make this Pinwheel Refrigerator Cookies recipe, please share your photos and comments below!