Front of the Perfect Pancakes recipe card. There is a notation of “companion” within the content which I cannot track down if the Companion Prize Recipes was a magazine, cookbook, or… If you know, please comment below to share with others.
Back of the Perfect Pancakes recipe card.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted shortening
- 1/2 recipe use 1 scant cup milk
- 2 scant tablespoons shortening
- Sift flour, salt, and baking powder into bowl
- Beat egg and add milk in separate bowl
- Pour into flour
- Stir in shortening (don’t beat – lumps will disappear in baking)
- No grease necessary on account of shortening in flour
I am not sure why this recipe uses an additional 1 cup of milk for 1/2 the recipe and additional shortening.
Also, the sugar is mentioned in the ingredients but the recipe doesn’t mention when to add it. If it were me writing this recipe I would say to mix the sugar in with the eggs and milk.
I have never prepared a homemade pancake recipe and use shortening into the recipe. I am very tempted to try this recipe to see how they turn out. Also, when I make pancakes I normally use bacon grease as my base to cook them with. Yep, just a little wiped on the bottom of the pan to give my pancakes a little oomph.
Other recipes you may enjoy: