Front of the Orange Sponge Cake recipe card. This is the only recipe I see in red type within the recipe box.
- 5 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup water with enough orange juice to fill the cup
- Powdered sugar
- Orange juice
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and leave for 30 minutes
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Sift flour and baking powder
- Fold flour mixture into egg yolks
- Add orange juice
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into batter
- Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Ice with powdered sugar and orange juice
- I created the method since sponge cake ingredients have an order in putting it together. If you have any suggested changes to the method, comment below.
LINKS OF INTEREST
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you. Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Orange Sponge Cake recipe.
If you make this Orange Sponge Cake recipe, please share your photos and comments below!