Orange Cake Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Orange Cake.
The owner notated that the recipe originated from an issue of Ladies Home Journal Magazine in 1953.
Orange Cake Recipe Card Back
Back of the recipe card for Orange Cake.
She notates on the bottom right that this Orange Cake recipe is the same as Mrs. Holis.
Vintage Recipe Box 012
There are lots of fun recipes to read in the box this recipe for Orange Cake was with.
Click here to view all of VRP012 – Wood Box recipes.
More Vintage Recipes
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you.
Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Orange Cake recipe.
Recipe Box and Cards
Start your own recipe box or your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
Vintage Kitchen Tools and Dishes
I love vintage dishes and kitchenware.
On the weekends I can often be found in a thrift store poking through the shelves to find vintage treasures to use as props for our photography for the site.
Click here to view Vintage Kitchenware on Etsy.
Every once and a while you can find a good cookbook with Vintage Recipes on Amazon. I don’t have any recommendations as I haven’t bought any as I prefer the handwritten recipes that you see on our site.
Vintage Recipe Project on Social Media
We would love to interact with you about our vintage recipes.
Join us on your favorite social media platform by clicking the links below.
Orange Cake Recipe
If you make this Orange Cake recipe, please share your photos and comments below!
Notation at the top of the card "Ladies Home Journal 1953" and on the back bottom "Same as Mrs. Holis orange cake."
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon cream tartar
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Sift together flour, cream of tartar, and sugar. (Directions state something different I can't transcribe)
- Bring sugar and water to boil and cook ____ syrup 250 degrees
- Beat 6 eggs white and 1/4 teaspoons salt until stiff but not dry
- Pour hot syrup over egg white wit wire spoon in a fine stream, beating as you pour
- Beat 6 egg yolks until light, thick, and lemon colored
- Fold into the egg white meringue
- Add 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Fold in sifted dry ingredients a little at a time
- Pour into 10 x 4 greased angel food cake pan
- Bake in a moderately slow oven 325 degrees for 1 hour
- Turn upside down to cool
- When cool serve from pan