Navy Bean Soup
Navy Bean Soup Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Navy Bean Soup.
Navy Bean Soup Recipe Card Back
Back of the recipe card for Navy Bean Soup.
Vintage Recipe Box 96
There are lots of fun recipes to read in the box this recipe for Navy Bean Soup was with.
More Vintage Recipes
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you.
Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Navy Bean Soup recipe.
Recipe Box and Cards
Start your own recipe box or your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
Vintage Kitchen Tools and Dishes
I love vintage dishes and kitchenware.
On the weekends I can often be found in a thrift store poking through the shelves to find vintage treasures to use as props for our photography for the site.
Click here to view Vintage Kitchenware on Etsy.
Every once and a while you can find a good cookbook with Vintage Recipes on Amazon. I don’t have any recommendations as I haven’t bought any as I prefer the handwritten recipes that you see on our site.
Vintage Recipe Project on Social Media
We would love to interact with you about our vintage recipes.
Join us on your favorite social media platform by clicking the links below.
Navy Bean Soup Recipe
If you make this Navy Bean Soup recipe, please share your photos and comments below!
- 1 lb dried navy or small white beans
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small ham hock smoked
- 2 qt qater
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Rinse beans & remove any foreign matter.
- Place beans in large pot & add cold water to cover beans by 3".
- Quickly bring to boiling.
- Boil 2 minutes
- Remove from heat, cover & let stand 1 hr.
- Drain beans, discard water. Return beans to pot, add onion, garlic, ham hock, 2 qt water, salt & pepper.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat & simmer covered until beans are tender about 1½ hr.
- Remove ham hock & when cool enough to handle, remove meat.
- Dice meat & return to pot.
- Discard bone & fat.
- In a small bowl gradually stir together potato flakes & 2 cups soup liquid. When smooth, stir into beans, add celery & parsley & simmer 30 min longer.
Makes about 12 cups.