Lemon Meringue Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Lemon Meringue Pie.
Vintage Recipe Box 37
There are lots of fun recipes to read in the box this recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie was with.
Click here to view all of Vintage Recipe Box 37 recipes.
More Vintage Recipes
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you.
Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Lemon Meringue Pie recipe.
Recipe Box and Cards
Start your own recipe box or your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
Vintage Kitchen Tools and Dishes
I love vintage dishes and kitchenware.
On the weekends I can often be found in a thrift store poking through the shelves to find vintage treasures to use as props for our photography for the site.
Click here to view Vintage Kitchenware on Etsy.
Every once and a while you can find a good cookbook with Vintage Recipes on Amazon. I don’t have any recommendations as I haven’t bought any as I prefer the handwritten recipes that you see on our site.
Vintage Recipe Project on Social Media
We would love to interact with you about our vintage recipes.
Join us on your favorite social media platform by clicking the links below.
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
If you make this Lemon Meringue Pie recipe, please share your photos and comments below!
For the crust:
- 1-½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsps. grated lemon rind (optional)
- 6 Tbsps. unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 1-¼ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1-½ cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks (keep the whites for the meringue)
- 2 Tbsps. unsalted butter
- 1-½ Tbsps. grated lemon peel
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the meringue:
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup sugar, preferably baker's or sanding sugar
- Prepare the crust: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the graham-cracker crumbs, sugar, lemon rind (if usign) and butter together, and pat into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake about 5 minutes, until it begins to brown.
- Remove to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in cold water until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks; stir about ¼ cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, then stir the yolk mixture into the hot mixture.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture boils.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in the butter, lemon peel and juice.
- Cool about 15 minutes.
- Pour into baked shell.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small deep bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla at medium speed until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating at high speed until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spoon meringue over hot filling; spread to edge of crust to seal well and prevent shrinkage.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or until filling is set.
- Yield: 8 servings.
- Store in refrigerator.