Green Tomato Pickles
Green Tomato Pickles Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Green Tomato Pickles.
Vintage Recipe Box 001
There are lots of fun recipes to read in the box this recipe for Green Tomato Pickles was with.
Click here to view all of Vintage Recipe Box 001 recipes.
More Vintage Recipes
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you.
Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Green Tomato Pickles recipe.
Recipe Box and Cards
Start your own recipe box or your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
Vintage Kitchen Tools and Dishes
I love vintage dishes and kitchenware.
On the weekends I can often be found in a thrift store poking through the shelves to find vintage treasures to use as props for our photography for the site.
Click here to view Vintage Kitchenware on Etsy.
Every once and a while you can find a good cookbook with Vintage Recipes on Amazon. I don’t have any recommendations as I haven’t bought any as I prefer the handwritten recipes that you see on our site.
Vintage Recipe Project on Social Media
We would love to interact with you about our vintage recipes.
Join us on your favorite social media platform by clicking the links below.
Green Tomato Pickles Recipe
If you make this Green Tomato Pickles recipe, please share your photos and comments below!
- 8 pounds green tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons allspice
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons pickling spice
- 3 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 large red peppers, coarsely chopped
- Put tomatoes and onions into separate bowls
- Sprinkle tomatoes with 1/2 cup salt and the onions with 2 tablespoons salt
- Cover both bowls and let stand for 12 hours
- Drain the vegetables thoroughly and discard the liquid
- Tie the whole spices in a spice bag and put in a large kettle
- Add vinegar and a mixture of sugar and dry mustard
- Heat to boiling, stirring until the sugar is dissolved
- Add tomatoes, onions, and red peppers
- Cook uncovered slowly until tomatoes are just tender, about 20 minutes
- Pack into sterilized jars and seal