Germans Sweet Chocolate Cake
Germans Sweet Chocolate Cake Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Germans Sweet Chocolate Cake.
Vintage Recipe Box 90
There are lots of fun recipes to read in the box this recipe for Germans Sweet Chocolate Cake was with.
Click here to view all of Vintage Recipe Box 90 recipes.
More Vintage Recipes
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you.
Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Germans Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe.
Recipe Box and Cards
Start your own recipe box or your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
Vintage Kitchen Tools and Dishes
I love vintage dishes and kitchenware.
On the weekends I can often be found in a thrift store poking through the shelves to find vintage treasures to use as props for our photography for the site.
Click here to view Vintage Kitchenware on Etsy.
Every once and a while you can find a good cookbook with Vintage Recipes on Amazon. I don’t have any recommendations as I haven’t bought any as I prefer the handwritten recipes that you see on our site.
Vintage Recipe Project on Social Media
We would love to interact with you about our vintage recipes.
Join us on your favorite social media platform by clicking the links below.
Germans Sweet Chocolate Cake Recipe
If you make this Germans Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe, please share your photos and comments below!
- 1 package Baker's GERMAN's Sweet Chocolate
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter **
- 4 egg yolks, unbeaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- **Or use margarine or other shortening.
- Melt chocolate in boiling water.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, and beat well after each.
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Sift together salt, soda, and flour.
- Add alternately with buttermilk to chocolate mixture, beating well. Beat until smooth.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour into three 8- or 9-inch cake layer pans, lined on bottoms with paper.
- Bake in moderate oven (350°F.) 30 to 40 minutes.
- Frost tops only.
- Combine 1 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, 3 egg yolks, ¼ pound margarine, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 12 minutes.
- Add 1⅓ cups Baker's Angel Flake Coconut and 1 cup chopped pecans.
- Beat until thick enough to spread. (Makes 2 2/3 cups.)