- 1 bar (4 ounces) German sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks, unbeaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 egg whites stiffly beaten
- Melt chocolate in boiling water
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy
- Add egg yolks, one at a time and beat well after each
- Add melted chocolate
- Add vanilla
- Mix well
- Sift cake flour, salt, and baking soda
- Add alternatively with buttermilk to chocolate mixture
- Beat well
- Beat until smooth
- Fold in egg whites
- Pour into 3" deep 8" or 9" layer cake pans lined on bottom with parchment paper
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes
German Sweet Chocolate Cake
Front of the German Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe card.
Back of the German Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe card.
LINKS OF INTEREST
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you. Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this German Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe.
If you make this German Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe, please share your photos and comments below!
More information about the box this recipe is a part of:
- Click here to read the history of VRP007 recipe box from Morrow County, Ohio
- Click here to view all the VRP007 Vintage Recipe Box Recipes