Freezer Ice Cream
Join our Vintage Recipe Facebook Group to discuss and find “new” old recipes to enjoy.
Links to find other recipes:
- 1 quart milk
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- *1 pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- Scald milk. Combine sugar, flour and salt; add scalded milk and cook on medium heat until thickened.
- Beat eggs and add cooked custard slowly. Return to heat and cook until thick, about 5 minutes. Cool.
- Pour into one gallon freezer can. Add cream, vanilla and enough additional milk to fill freezer to within 3 inches of top.
- Adjust dasher and cover. Pack finely chopped ice and ice cream salt around can using 4 parts ice to 1 part salt.
- Freeze in elctric freezer until motor stops; disconnect. Remove ice from around top of can; take off lid. Remove dasher and replace cover afater plugging opening in lid.
- Drain off melted ice water and add enough more ice and salt to fill freezer; allow to ripen at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 1 gallon
Chocolate: Add 1 cup cocoa to sugar, flour and salt mixture.
Strawberry: Add 1 quart crushed fresh strawberries and a few drops of red coloring, if desired, to the cooled custard.
Peach: Add 1 quart crushed peaches and ½ teaspoon almond extract to the cooled custard.
*1 can (13 ounce) evaporated milk and ½ pint whipping cream may be substituted.