Chocolate Cake by Ruth Denison
This Chocolate Cake recipe by Ruth Denison is an old one! The recipe card says to bake in a “moderate oven” – do you know what that is? Click here to view our article on Oven Temperatures.
If you make this chocolate cake recipe, be sure to check out our Frosting Recipes. Also, we have a lot of cake and dessert recipes, which you can view at Vintage Cake Recipes and Chocolate Cake Recipes.
Learn more about the History of Food and view the background of dishes and brands, read through recipe roundups, tips for food prep, and more.
Join our Vintage Recipe Facebook Group to discuss and find “new” old recipes to enjoy.
Links to find other recipes:
Chocolate Cake by Ruth Denison Recipe Card Details
This recipe is typed on a standard-sized unruled index card and has a notation in the upper right-hand corner that the recipe is from Ruth Denison.
I did find a Ruth Denison in Ohio but not in Morrow County, Ohio so not sure if the same one.
I will keep searching and come back to update this post once I find more about her.
Chocolate Cake by Ruth Denison Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Chocolate Cake by Ruth Denison.
Vintage Recipe Box 1 Overview
This recipe box has an AMAZING back story and we share our story of how we came to own the box, sister boxes, and about the Ohio family who owned them.
Click here to view all of Vintage Recipe Box 1 recipes and to learn more about the history of the recipes and the recipe box.
- Start your own recipe box for your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
- Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
- Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
- If you LOVE vintage items, you can find unique and fun vintage items on Groupon.
Click here to view all of the Vintage Recipe Boxes we have published to date from our collection.
Vintage Items for Your Kitchen
- View vintage recipes on Etsy
- View vintage kitchen items on Etsy
- View vintage kitchen accessories on Amazon
Join our Vintage Recipe Project Facebook group
to discuss old recipes and food traditions.
Chocolate Cake by Ruth Denison Recipe
If you make this Chocolate Cake by Ruth Denison recipe, join our Facebook group and share your photos! (Or just join anyway, we would love to have you!!!)
- 2 squares chocolate
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 7/8 cup flour
- Bake in sheet pan for 25 minutes in a moderate oven