Chocolate Cake by Mrs. Noser
This recipe for Chocolate Cake by Mrs. Noser has some interesting measurements. I do not think I have seen 3/8 cup of anything before, have you? (Which is 6 tablespoons, FYI)
If you make this chocolate cake recipe, be sure to check out our Frosting Recipes. Also, we have a lot of cake and dessert recipes, which you can view at Vintage Cake Recipes and Chocolate Cake Recipes.
Did you know that National Chocolate Cake Day is January 27th and National Cake Day is November 26th? Click here to view January Food Holidays, November Food Holidays, and all the Food Holidays
Learn more about the History of Food and view the background of dishes and brands, read through recipe roundups, tips for food prep, and more.
Other Vintage Recipes
Other Vintage Dessert Recipes
Join our Vintage Recipe Facebook Group to discuss and find “new” old recipes to enjoy.
Links to find other recipes:
Chocolate Cake by Mrs. Noser Recipe Card Details
This recipe card for Chocolate Cake by Mrs. Noser is typed on a standard-sized unruled index card.
Chocolate Cake by Mrs. Noser Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Chocolate Cake by Mrs. Noser.
Vintage Recipe Box 1 Overview
This recipe box has an AMAZING back story and we share our story of how we came to own the box, sister boxes, and about the Ohio family who owned them.
Click here to view all of Vintage Recipe Box 1 recipes and to learn more about the history of the recipes and the recipe box.
- Start your own recipe box for your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
- Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
- Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
- If you LOVE vintage items, you can also find unique and fun vintage items on Groupon.
Click here to view all of the Vintage Recipe Boxes we have published to date from our collection.
Every once and a while you can find a good cookbook with Vintage Recipes on Amazon. I don’t have any recommendations as I haven’t bought any as I prefer the handwritten recipes that you see on our site.
Click here to view our Vintage Recipe Project Cookbook Library.
Vintage Kitchen Tools and Dishes
Click here to view Vintage Kitchenware on Etsy.
Join our Vintage Recipe Project Facebook group
to discuss old recipes and food traditions.
Chocolate Cake by Mrs. Noser Recipe
If you make this Chocolate Cake by Mrs. Noser recipe, join our Facebook group and share your photos! (Or just join anyway, we would love to have you!!!)
Chocolate Cake by Mrs. Noser (VRP 001)
- 3 squares chocolate
- 3/8 cup shortening (6 tablespoons)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/8 cup sour milk (6 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 small eggs
- Mix the chocolate, shortening, and boiling water until dissolved
- Add sugar and sour milk to chocolate mixture
- Add sifted dry ingredients and stir just enough to mix
- Add whole eggs, one at a time, and beat with spoon until smooth
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees