This recipe for Butterscotch Pie is one of my favorite recipe cards because it dates itself by the mention of the measurement of butter is the size of walnut using a spider pan!
In addition to Dutch ovens with three or four feet, which Abraham Darby I secured a patent in 1708 to produce, a commonly used cast-iron cooking pan called a spider had a handle and three legs allowing it to stand upright over campfires as well as in the coals and ashes of a fireplace.
Learn more about the History of Food and view the background of dishes and brands, read through recipe roundups, tips for food prep, and more.
Join our Vintage Recipe Facebook Group to discuss and find “new” old recipes to enjoy.
Links to find other recipes:
Butterscotch Pie Recipe Card Details
This recipe card for Butterscotch Pie
Butterscotch Pie Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Butterscotch Pie.
Vintage Recipe Box 1 Overview
This recipe box has an AMAZING back story and we share our story of how we came to own the box, sister boxes, and about the Ohio family who owned them.
Click here to view all of Vintage Recipe Box 1 recipes and to learn more about the history of the recipes and the recipe box.
- Start your own recipe box for your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
- Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
- Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
- If you LOVE vintage items, you can also find unique and fun vintage items on Groupon.
Click here to view all of the Vintage Recipe Boxes we have published to date from our collection.
Every once and a while you can find a good cookbook with Vintage Recipes on Amazon. I don’t have any recommendations as I haven’t bought any as I prefer the handwritten recipes that you see on our site.
Click here to view our Vintage Recipe Project Cookbook Library.
Vintage Kitchen Tools and Dishes
Click here to view Vintage Kitchenware on Etsy.
Join our Vintage Recipe Project Facebook group
to discuss old recipes and food traditions.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe
If you make this Butterscotch Pie recipe, join our Facebook group and share your photos! (Or just join anyway, we would love to have you!!!)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup milk
- Melt in spider lump of butter the size of a walnut
- Add brown sugar and 4 tablespoons of milk
- Then add and boil together yolk of 1 egg, cornstarch, and 1 cup milk
- Pour into baked pie crust
- Top with meringue