Bread and Butter Pickles by Lydia Lewis
I love the aging and handwriting for this Bread and Butter Pickles by Lydia Lewis. When I see “clues” about who the recipe originated from, I get giddy inside as it helps us figure out the age and location of the recipe.
Learn more about the History of Food and view the background of dishes and brands, read through recipe roundups, tips for food prep, and more.
Join our Vintage Recipe Facebook Group to discuss and find “new” old recipes to enjoy.
Links to find other recipes:
Bread and Butter Pickles by Lydia Lewis Recipe Card Details
This well-aged recipe card is for a Bread and Butter Pickle recipe by “Aunt Lydia” is handwritten on a lined standard-sized index card.
Bread and Butter Pickles by Lydia Lewis Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Bread and Butter Pickles by Lydia Lewis.
There is a notation that the recipe is from Aunt Lydia aka Lydia Alice LEWIS Rinehart who was born in 1864 in Morrow County, Ohio, and died in 1954 in Morrow County, Ohio. She was the daughter of William LEWIS and Martha Ellen COVER. Her brother, Lyman LEWIS was the father of the recipe box owner, Goldie LEWIS Sowers.
Vintage Recipe Box 1 Overview
This recipe box has an AMAZING back story and we share our story of how we came to own the box, sister boxes, and about the Ohio family who owned them.
Click here to view all of Vintage Recipe Box 1 recipes and to learn more about the history of the recipes and the recipe box.
- Start your own recipe box for your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
- Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
- Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
- If you LOVE vintage items, you can find unique and fun vintage items on Groupon.
Click here to view all of the Vintage Recipe Boxes we have published to date from our collection.
Vintage Items for Your Kitchen
- View vintage recipes on Etsy
- View vintage kitchen items on Etsy
- View vintage kitchen accessories on Amazon
Join our Vintage Recipe Project Facebook group
to discuss old recipes and food traditions.
Bread and Butter Pickles by Lydia Lewis Recipe
If you make this bread and Butter Pickles by Lydia Lewis recipe, join our Facebook group and share your photos! (Or just join anyway, we would love to have you!!!)
- 3 quarts pickling cucumbers
- 1 quart vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons mixed spices
- 2 teaspoons salt
- pinch of alum
- small onions
- Cut the pickling cucumber without peeling them
- Let stand in medium salt water for 3 hours and drain
- Boil spices and vinegar
- Place the pickling cucumbers in the boiling vinegar and boil for 3 minutes