Best Ever Pickles
I am not a huge fan of pickles so it’s hard for me to imagine why this recipe could be for the “Best Ever Pickles.”
Based on the ingredients and method, how does it stack up against your favorite pickle recipe?
Learn more about the History of Food and view the background of dishes and brands, read through recipe roundups, tips for food prep, and more.
Join our Vintage Recipe Facebook Group to discuss and find “new” old recipes to enjoy.
Links to find other recipes:
Best Ever Pickles Recipe Card Details
This recipe card for Best Ever Pickles is actually a newspaper clipping from an unknown publication.
There is a notation that the recipe is from Fanny Summers of Mt. Vernon. Fanny was originally from Lorain County, Ohio so I wonder if she sent her recipe back to a “hometown” Ohio newspaper and Goldie found it or…
She is married to her husband in 1906, so the recipe was printed after this time.
Notes on Fanny Cecilia BROWN Summers of Mount Vernon, Washington:
- Fanny was born September 1st, 1889 in Amherst, Lorain County, Ohio.
- She married Edward SUMMERS on July 9, 1906, in Skagit, Washington.
- In September 1972 Fanny Summers passed away in Mount Vernon, Washington at the age of 83.
Best Ever Pickles Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Best Ever Pickles.
Vintage Recipe Box 1 Overview
This recipe box has an AMAZING back story and we share our story of how we came to own the box, sister boxes, and about the Ohio family who owned them.
Click here to view all of Vintage Recipe Box 1 recipes and to learn more about the history of the recipes and the recipe box.
- Start your own recipe box for your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
- Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
- Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
- If you LOVE vintage items, you can find unique and fun vintage items on Groupon.
Click here to view all of the Vintage Recipe Boxes we have published to date from our collection.
Vintage Items for Your Kitchen
- View vintage recipes on Etsy
- View vintage kitchen items on Etsy
- View vintage kitchen accessories on Amazon
Join our Vintage Recipe Project Facebook group
to discuss old recipes and food traditions.
Best Ever Pickles Recipe
If you make this Best Ever Pickles recipe, join our Facebook group and share your photos! (Or just join anyway, we would love to have you!!!)
Best Ever Pickles
- 2 gallons cucumbers
- 1/2 cup salt
- Boiling water to cover
- 1/2 gallon vinegar
- 4 tablespoons mustard
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mixed spice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Wash and drain 300 or 2 gallons cucumbers
- Put in 1/2 cup cup salt over them and pour boiling water to cover
- Let stand overnight
- In the morning, wipe dry
- Put in open jar and cover with 1/2 gallon of vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and mixed spice
- Stir well
- Add 1/2 cup sugar to pickles and stir well for 12 mornings
- They will keep in an open jar all winter if weighted down