More Vintage Recipes
We have lots of recipes on the site that may be of interest to you.
Use the links below to view other recipes similar to this Applesauce Cake recipe.
Join our Vintage Recipe Facebook Group to discuss and find “new” old recipes to enjoy.
Links to find other recipes:
Applesauce Cake Recipe Card Front
Front of the recipe card for Applesauce Cake.
The owner of this Applesauce Cake recipe says the recipe is “O.K.”
Applesauce Cake Recipe Card Back
Back of the recipe card for Applesauce Cake.
I love that she wrote all her recipes with a fountain pen but I do not like the smudges!
Fortunately, we are able to transcribe this recipe to share with you.
- She modifies the cinnamon and nutmeg by half. I wonder if his means the recipe is from a magazine, newspaper, or from a friend??
Vintage Recipe Box 12
The person I purchased the boxes in this lot said she bought them at an estate sale in Jackson Hole, WY.
The owner of this box loved desserts and most of the recipes in this box are dessert recipes.
She mentions friends or acquaintances in her recipes and notates when she found them in magazines.
Click here to view all of VRP012 – Wood Box recipes.
Recipe Box and Cards
Start your own recipe box or your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Click here to view Recipe Cards and Templates.
Want to protect your recipe cards from splats and splatters in the kitchen? Click here to view Recipe Card Protectors and Sleeves.
Vintage Kitchen Tools and Dishes
I love vintage dishes and kitchenware.
On the weekends I can often be found in a thrift store poking through the shelves to find vintage treasures to use as props for our photography for the site.
Click here to view Vintage Kitchenware on Etsy.
Every once and a while you can find a good cookbook with Vintage Recipes on Amazon. I don’t have any recommendations as I haven’t bought any as I prefer the handwritten recipes that you see on our site.
Vintage Recipe Project on Social Media
We would love to interact with you about our vintage recipes.
Join us on your favorite social media platform by clicking the links below.
Join our Vintage Recipe Facebook Group
to discuss and find “new” old recipes to enjoy.
Applesauce Cake Recipe
If you make this Applesauce Cake recipe, please share your photos and comments below!
In the upper right hand corner is the comment "O.K."
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar, granulated
- 1/2 cup sugar, brown
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Calumet baking powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (- 1/2)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (- 1/4)
- 1 1/4 cup applesauce, sieved
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup raisins
- Blend 1/2 cup chopped nuts and 1 cup raisins with 1 tablespoon of sifted dry ingredients
- Cream 1/2 cup shortening with 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Add 1 beaten egg
- Add alternatively sifted dry ingredients with 1 1/4 cup sieved applesauce
- Blend in nuts and raisins
- Add to 9 x 9 x 2 greased pan
- Bake moderate over 350 degrees 45 - 50 minutes
- Cool and frost
- (May have to bake longer period)